Division of Microbiology and Immunology
Human Single Cell Immunology Team
WING James Badger
Status : Assoc.Prof.
Research Field : Single cell immunology
I am originally from the UK and, as part of my early career training in infectious diseases, I became interested in how the immune system regulates antibody responses. Antibodies are critical to the fight against infection but can also cause autoimmunity. 10 years ago, I moved to Japan join the laboratory of Shimon Sakaguchi, who discovered regulatory T-cells, which are the cells most critical to the control of the immune system. With his kind guidance I was able to focus on a new type of Treg, T-follicular regulatory cell, that controls antibody responses. This cell is important to control both vaccine responses and viral infections. More recently I was lucky enough to be able to open a new laboratory that focuses on the use of mass cytometry, a technology that allows us to investigate the biology of millions of immune cells in detail. I would like to humbly thank everyone for their kind support and using these new technologies I hope to contribute to the fight against infectious diseases.
・Single cell immunology of infectious disease patients
・Single cell immunology of vaccine responses
・Regulation of antibody responses by T-follicular regulatory cells
1. M Tekguc, JB Wing, M Osaki, J Long and S Sakaguchi. Treg-expressed CTLA-4 depletes CD80/CD86 by trogocytosis, releasing free PD-L1 on antigen-presenting cells. PNAS, 2021
2. EP Mimitou, CA Lareau, KY Chen, AL. Zorzetto-Fernandes, Y Hao, Y Takeshima, W Luo, T-S Huang, B Z. Yeung, E Papalexi, PI. Thakore, T Kibayashi, JB Wing, M Hata, R Satija, KL. Nazor, S Sakaguchi, LS Ludwig, VG Sankaran, A Regev & P Smibert. Scalable, multimodal profiling of chromatin accessibility, gene expression and protein levels in single cells. Nature Biotechnology, 2021.
3. Wing, JB., Tanaka, A, & Sakaguchi, S. Human FOXP3+ Regulatory T Cell Heterogeneity and Function in Autoimmunity and Cancer. Immunity, 2019.
4. Wing JB, Kitagawa Y, Locci M, Hume H, Tay C, Morita T, Kidani Y, Matsuda K, Inoue T, Kurosaki T, Crotty S, Coban C, Ohkura N, Sakaguchi S. A distinct subpopulation of CD25- T-follicular regulatory cells localizes in the germinal centers. PNAS, 2017.
5. Wing JB, W. Ise, T. Kurosaki, and S. Sakaguchi. Regulatory T cells control antigen-specific expansion of Tfh cell number and humoral immune responses via the coreceptor CTLA-4. Immunity, 2014.